function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JesseAJesseA 

Multiple Approval Processes or 1 Process with Multiple Steps?

We have 7 different approvers. Three of them though are independent and either one may not be required which I believe gives me 8 different possible buckets of approvers. My question is whether it is better to setup 8 different approval processes each with just 1 step or 1 approval process with 8 different steps that each have criteria matching one of the 8 combinations. 

Follow Up Question: If there are multiple approvers on a single step and two of them point to the same user will this mean that the user only has to approve once?

SubhayanSubhayan

Hi JesseA,

You can have either.

The first case can be used if you have the approval processes that have mutually exclusive criteria. That means the criteria for one case doesnot match the others. I will prefer the second case that has a single Approval process with 8 steps.

For example:

If two approval process criteria are:

a) If Opportunity stage is not "Negotiating" --- Approver A has to approve. (Process Order 1)

b) If Opportunity stage is not "Closed" and Amount is greater than $50000 --- Approver B has to approve. (Process Order 2)

Now let us suppose we have an opportunity with stage= "Prospecting" and Amount= $660000.

For first case (8 approval process), only the Appoval process with Order 1 will be executed. As the case a) criteria is satisfied. The flow will not roll to the below process.

For the second case (1 approval process with 8 steps) we can use the criteria for the Process Steps. If the criteria is satisfied it is fine else "Go to next step". However, we must aim to make each criteria mutually exclusive for each approval case.