function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
VNVN 

Starts with Vowel Sound

Hi,

Can anyone please let me know why is this checkbox 'Starts with a vowel sound' is used while creating objects in salesforce?

I read somewhere that 'This is used for languages where words need different treatment depending on the first character'.

If anyone can explain me with example on how it works that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Priya Nair

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
SteveBowerSteveBower

I would like to take A MINUTE to explain it, however it might actually take AN HOUR.

I was attacked by A LION; I wish it had been AN ANTEATER.

In this case, if I had written "A HOUR", and a speaker tried to pronounce it, the first vowel sound would run into the second and make it harder to pronounce and understand.    Same for "A ANTEATER".

This is English by the way, I have no idea how it applies (or doesn't) to other languages.  The A/An decision is based on phonetics as opposed to spelling.  So, "... depending on the first character" isn't strictly speaking as true as if it said "... depending on the first phoneme".

Best, Steve.

All Answers

SteveBowerSteveBower

I would like to take A MINUTE to explain it, however it might actually take AN HOUR.

I was attacked by A LION; I wish it had been AN ANTEATER.

In this case, if I had written "A HOUR", and a speaker tried to pronounce it, the first vowel sound would run into the second and make it harder to pronounce and understand.    Same for "A ANTEATER".

This is English by the way, I have no idea how it applies (or doesn't) to other languages.  The A/An decision is based on phonetics as opposed to spelling.  So, "... depending on the first character" isn't strictly speaking as true as if it said "... depending on the first phoneme".

Best, Steve.

This was selected as the best answer
VNVN

Thanks steve...

Sumit KumarSumit Kumar

Hi Steve,

1.Can you explain in detail what is role of that check box (start with vowel) in object level.

2. How it works and what is the use of start with vowel check box ?

3.what is importance of pronounce of any object while using the application in Salesforce?

thinkscientistthinkscientist

i think he already explained it above. Can you expand on what you don'd understand about it? 

Verena Kiss 1Verena Kiss 1
The way Steve answered the question is impressive.
Sarah Him&LuiSarah Him&Lui
hey, I need a salesforce CTO for a start up which is going to be on dragons den - Can you help? Are you based in London?
yannick@himandlui.com
Sergey ShandarohaSergey Shandaroha
Why is it so difficult to determine the vowel sound based on the first letter programmatically?
Yusuf KaydawalaYusuf Kaydawala
@Sergey: It would be difficult to handle the vowel sound using a program due to varied natural of English language and its pronunciation across the world. We would need a library of vowel sounds like the unicode character set and along with a strong natural language processing. Even after that, there will mistakes which can be embarrassing in the professional context. In short, too much effort for little value.
Brittany PenmanBrittany Penman
I swear the English language can be weird sometimes, I never noticed why I was using "An" in the first place I just knew it sound better than "A" with certain words.
Surender_PatelSurender_Patel
A, E, I, O , U are called vowels. We should use "AN" if SOUND of the word starts with vowels. To distingush this, that check box is present. Examples are like An account, A contact.
Troy CenterTroy Center
Thanks Steve! You da man. 
Jhonny Alexander Ramirez Chiroque 4Jhonny Alexander Ramirez Chiroque 4
que tengo que hacer para el checkbox aparezca al momento de crear los objetos personalizados
Chaser ManeChaser Mane
I am also looking for audio providers like https://tonosdellamadamp3.com/tonos-de-llamada-iphone/. They are quite amazing, aren't they.