function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
guyr1981guyr1981 

Free Developer Edition VS. Developer Edition Organization

Hello,

I have the free developer edition but in order to develope apex code I need to use a sandbox,

(don't have on setup->develope->apex the button "new" for adding new apex code).

I was wondering, is that normal? do I need a "developer edition organization" in order to code in apex without a sandbox?

or is actually "Free Developer Edition" == "Developer Edition Organization" and apex coding is always done on a sandbox?

Thanks,

Guy

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
RyanGuestRyanGuest

My advice: get a Developer Edition and a Free Edition organization.

Since both are free (as in you don't pay anything), there are two different organization types you are talking about: Developer and Enterprise Edition. 

The Force.com Free Edition is just a free version of an Enterprise Edition organization. This means that you can't develop Apex Code in this organization and you will need to use a Developer Edition, the metadata API, packaging, or a Sandbox to move Apex Code into your Force.com Free Edition. 

The Developer Edition organization is where you can write Apex Code without having to use the API, packaging or Sandbox to push it live.

Personally, I use a Developer Edition organization to do all my development (Apex / Visualforce / Sites) and then move my code from my DE org to my Force.com Free Edition org.

All Answers

RyanGuestRyanGuest

My advice: get a Developer Edition and a Free Edition organization.

Since both are free (as in you don't pay anything), there are two different organization types you are talking about: Developer and Enterprise Edition. 

The Force.com Free Edition is just a free version of an Enterprise Edition organization. This means that you can't develop Apex Code in this organization and you will need to use a Developer Edition, the metadata API, packaging, or a Sandbox to move Apex Code into your Force.com Free Edition. 

The Developer Edition organization is where you can write Apex Code without having to use the API, packaging or Sandbox to push it live.

Personally, I use a Developer Edition organization to do all my development (Apex / Visualforce / Sites) and then move my code from my DE org to my Force.com Free Edition org.

This was selected as the best answer
samrat.1985@lntinfotechsamrat.1985@lntinfotech

I have an application in Free Developer edition. How do i migrate it to free ienterprise edition. Casn you please throw some light on this

RyanGuestRyanGuest

You can signup for a Force.com free edition here: https://www.salesforce.com/form/signup/freeforce-platform.jsp

You can then use the Force.com IDE or salesforce packaging to migrate applications between your developer and enterprise editions.