function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BlabelleBlabelle 

Tracking growth of data in custom objects?

Is there anyone out there that can help me figure out how to track the growth of data in custom fields that I created in a custom object that I created? Basically the situation is that every month I import updated data from our companies customer portal this data is numerical and pertains to revenue per month, user account number, etc... I would like to be able to track the data from month to month in order to show the growth or decline of said fields for the specific clients in the custom object.

I looked into the formulas and their was one formula that would return a true/false value if the data changed when updated but I want to be able to have the difference of the two values in the field, and then I also want to be able to store these values so If need be I could generate an 18 month or however long chart/report on the companies progress or lack there of.

If anyone can guide me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it thank you.

stwdevstwdev

Have you tried Analytic Snapshots? This feature allows you to track history or trends in your data. It uses a combination of a custom object to store point-in-time data and a scheduled report to establish that data.

From online Help:

An analytic snapshot enables users to run a tabular or summary report and save the report results to fields on a custom object. With analytic snapshots, users with the appropriate permissions can map fields from a source report to the fields on a target object, and schedule when to run the report to load the custom object's fields with the report's data. Analytic snapshots allow you to work with report data similarly to how you work with other records in Salesforce.com. For example, a customer support manager could set up an analytic snapshot that reports on the open cases assigned to his or her team everyday at 5:00 PM, and store that data in a custom object to build a history on open cases from which he or she could spot trends via reports. Furthermore, the customer support manager could report on point-in-time or trend data stored in the custom object and use the report as a source for a dashboard component.