function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
bkradminbkradmin 

Complex Document Creation - Ideas Needed

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible:

We are a Canadian non-profit which needs to send tax-deductible receipts to our donors once a year. Each receipt has a unique receipt number, but can have multiple donations listed on each. 

We have all the data set up from the Salesforce side (donation objects, automatic assignment of receipt numbers, etc.). Now we are thinking about output. The quickest way we have now to get the data on actual paper is to run a report with our donation information, receipt numbers, and donor information, export it to excel, and then set up a complicated mail merge document we created that understands how to group donations by receipt number to create pages. 

This is obviously not ideal. We would like to do all the document creation within Salesforce. I think this is too customized for the doc creation apps, and anyways we don't like monthly subscriptions. 

We are wiling to invest in creating something to ease this process, but we don't have an idea about wha tthat would look like. Does anyone have any idea what would be involved in doing this all in Salesforce? Are we talking about VF pages? If so, what would the procedure be?

kreshokresho

You could create a VF page that would generate all receipts at once, withe headers, footers etc. and then utilize CSS page breaks to make each receipt print to a new page.

Regards,
Kresimir
Apex Editor LS - free alternative to Force.com apex editor.
Give kudos (click star next to my icon) if this was useful

Rahul_sgRahul_sg
As mentioned by kresho you need a VF page and custom controller.
You can then print this VF page or even save it as pdf
AroraAnupAroraAnup

I think the fellow community members are pointing you in the right direction. This can be done in Salesforce.com and will require a combination of Apex Classes and Visual Force pages. The class will have your logic for rendering data on the screen, based upon the parameters entered and the VF framework will display the results on the UI in the required format with capabilities like PDF generation and printing.

Do let me know if you require any further help in this regards!

bkradminbkradmin

Thanks CloudKnight. How many hours do you think a job like that should take?

liron169liron169
Hello,

I did similar development in the past.
PDF generated for many records.
As mention it will required: Pages, classes, CSS file, and you
might want to use apex component inside the page.

The hours for such requirement depend on the logic for grabbing the data and building the document.
In my opinion, it will take at least 1 week of development.