function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RevJoelRevJoel 

Tier 1 to Tier 2 Case Escalation Question

Here is our current process:

1. Case comes in to Tier 1 queue.

2. Associate takes ownership of the case out of the queue and changes 'Opened by' field to their name.

3. Associate works case and if they cannot resolve it, changes ownership to Tier 2 queue.

4. Tier 2 associate takes ownership of the case and works the case.

5. Once solved, case is assigned back to the 'Opened by' user.

Here's the issue: We have no way to track who is taking cases out of the Tier 2 queue. One option I have is to add a Tier 2 Associate field and require the Tier 2 reps to put their name in as soon as they take ownership of the case from the Tier 2 queue. I could then report on who's taking the cases. The problem is that it requires them to enter their name in the field.

How do other companies handle cases and case escalation within Salesforce? We are using Professional Edition so triggers and workflow are not available to us.

IDEAS????

RevJoelRevJoel
bump. Any ideas?
AroraAnupAroraAnup

Couple of questions:

1. When an associate takes the case ownership from the Tier 1 queue, why is he updating the Opened By field? Are you not using the Case Owner field, that will get updated automatically as soon as a user picks up the Case from the Queue?

2. Once the Case is assigned to the Tier 2 Queue, I am assuming that the Tier 1 rep changes the Case Owner to Tier 2 Queue and someone from the Tier 2 Queue is then picking it up manually? Please confirm

3. Once the Case is resolved by the Tier 1 rep, how is he assigning it back to the Opened By User? Does he change the Case Owner field? How does he/she know who was the initial user who assigned him the case?

In this entire process, it seems you are using the Opened By field v/s the Owner field. Any reasons for doing so? Case Owner has History Tracking enabled on it by default, so you can always track who was the initial onwner (User or Queue), which Tier 1 rep picked it up, which Tier 2 rep picked it up etc. and you also have the flexibility to report in it. 

Please share your thoughts on my queries above so that I can help you further. Good luck!

RevJoelRevJoel

1. We keep track of who originally took ownership out of the Tier 1 queue this way. Reporting from Case History is very difficult.

2. Yes, that's correct.

3. When the case is resolved by a Tier 2 rep, it is then assigned back to the Opened By user (with email notification) and that user then contacts the customer to confirm the fix and it's then closed.

The issue I have with using Case Owner history is it's very difficult to report on how many cases a Tier 2 associate is taking out of the Tier 2 queue. Reporting on the Tier 1 queue is simple. The Tier 2 queue is infinitely more difficult. I have yet to figure out a feasible way to report on this given the tools in Salesforce now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, CloudKnight!

RevJoelRevJoel
Here is the reason case history reports won't work for us:

A typical case flow: Tier 1 queue --> Tier 1 associate --> Tier 2 queue - Tier 2 associate --> Tier 1 associate.

A case history report will not allow me to filter the graph by "New Value" (ie. The Case Owner field) nor by specific New Values or Old Values.