function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NewInternNewIntern 

Visualforce Pages in edit page layout on Accounts

Hi,

Can someone tell me why I do not see "Visualforce Pages" in the edit layout view of Accounts while I can see Visualforce Pages in the same view for Contacts? I can see Fields, Buttons, Custom Links, Related Lists, and Actions but no Visualforce Pages. How can I add a VF page on an Accounts record - I was neatly able to do so on Contacts but not on Accounts cause the option doesn't exist.

Thanks.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
AroraAnupAroraAnup

So, when you edit the Account Page layout under Setup, you ARE NOT able to see the option for selecting a Visualforce Page, whereas when you edit the Contact Page layout under Setup, you ARE able to see the option for selecting a Visualforce Page, correct?

The reason behind this is because you may already have a VF page build that is using Contacts as a Standard Controller. If you goto Setup-->AppSetup-->Develop-->Pages you will be able to see all the VF pages that are available for your SFDC org. You can check them and I believe you will fine one or more where Standard Controller is Contact. I don't think you will find a VF page where Account is being used as a Standard/Custom Controller, which is why you are not able to see the option for adding a Visualforce page to the Account layout when you edit the layout. Unless you have a VF page that is using Accounts as a Standard Controller or is using a Custom/Extension controller where Accounts are being referenced, you will not be able to see this option on the Account layout edit screen.

Here is a simple test that you can do: Create a new VF page using the following piece of code:

<apex:page standardController="Account" >
<p>Hello {!Account.Name}! </p>
</apex:page>

Once you create this, go back to the Account Edit layout option under setup and try to edit the layout. You should be able to see the Visualforce pages option this time.

Let me know if this works! Will look forward to your response.

All Answers

AroraAnupAroraAnup

Are you trying to add your VF page on the Account layout as an Inline VF component or as a Button/Link? Also, when you say that you were able to do so on the Contact, was that also an inline VF component or was it like a Button or Link with a VF component running behind it?

Please let me know so that I can help you better!

NewInternNewIntern

Appreciate your response.

Since, pasting pictures is not supported here and I'm new to this, I'd try to describe it as I see it.

Go to contacts -> pick any record -> edit layout -> a frozen contact layout pane appears on top (frozen as it remains on top when you scroll vertically)

In this Contact Layout, you see to the extreme left:

Fields

Buttons

Custom Links

Visualforce Pages (On clicking this, you see the created Visualforce pages to the right that you can easily drag and drop)

Related Lists

Actions

When I look at the same thing for Accounts though, this is what I see:

Fields

Buttons

Custom Links

Related Lists

Actions

I need the Visualforce Pages option for Accounts to appear just like it does on Contacts. I do not know if this qualifies as inline VF or button/link - would appreciate some info here too; thanks for your time.

AroraAnupAroraAnup

So, when you edit the Account Page layout under Setup, you ARE NOT able to see the option for selecting a Visualforce Page, whereas when you edit the Contact Page layout under Setup, you ARE able to see the option for selecting a Visualforce Page, correct?

The reason behind this is because you may already have a VF page build that is using Contacts as a Standard Controller. If you goto Setup-->AppSetup-->Develop-->Pages you will be able to see all the VF pages that are available for your SFDC org. You can check them and I believe you will fine one or more where Standard Controller is Contact. I don't think you will find a VF page where Account is being used as a Standard/Custom Controller, which is why you are not able to see the option for adding a Visualforce page to the Account layout when you edit the layout. Unless you have a VF page that is using Accounts as a Standard Controller or is using a Custom/Extension controller where Accounts are being referenced, you will not be able to see this option on the Account layout edit screen.

Here is a simple test that you can do: Create a new VF page using the following piece of code:

<apex:page standardController="Account" >
<p>Hello {!Account.Name}! </p>
</apex:page>

Once you create this, go back to the Account Edit layout option under setup and try to edit the layout. You should be able to see the Visualforce pages option this time.

Let me know if this works! Will look forward to your response.

This was selected as the best answer
sandeep@Salesforcesandeep@Salesforce

I got your problem. 

Actually you are not any page on Account layout because there is not such a page available in your org which is having standardController = "Account"  but you must have at least one page which is having standardController="Contact".

so please create a sample VF page and keep standardController = "Account" then you will be able to get this page in your Account's Edit Page layout.

NewInternNewIntern

Thank you, CloudKnight and Sandeep for your solutions.

Here's a graphical step by step of how it's done:

http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/9179/how-to-add-a-vf-page-to-event-standard-pagelauout?rq=1

AroraAnupAroraAnup

Looks good NewIntern. Glad this is resolved for you now :)

NewInternNewIntern
"inline VF component or was it like a Button or Link with a VF component running behind it?"
What would you say it is that I was asking for? Enlighten me please.
AroraAnupAroraAnup

Using the Visualforce pages option on the Page layout editor, you can add an Inline VF component. This is like a visual force component that you can add to your detail view of any object. This VF will get executed as soon as you view the record. 

You can also add custom buttons/links to the page layout that may execute a VF component when clicked

Hope this helps! Do let me know if you have any furthe queries. Happy to help!

NewInternNewIntern

Totally made sense after I checked it out in the system. Thanks again, Knight.