function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
THBrunoTHBruno 

Customizing possibilities for Customers

Hi All,

I'm quite new on the Salesforce.com platform. Therefor I'm not sure what the best approach is in underlying cases:

1) How can we enable some customizing for the customers? Let's say we deliver a custom object with 20 fields, but only 10 fields or relevant for a specific customer. Is there any way of hiding/disabling/... them?

Or having a screen where the customer can say which fields he would like to use?

2) What approach do we need to have on giving the customer standard options in a dropdown. For example a list of countries, a list of specific kind of types, a list of postal codes,...

Do we need this to be defined as a picklist? But what about translation of these values? Isn't it possible to have some kind of tables where this can be maintained?

Thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC

Yes Bruno, this is something that can be made possible using Record types...

What you can do is on the vehicle Object - have 3 record types namely - 

cars,

vans and

large trucks

Now you can customize all the picklist values and pagelayout depending on the record type value a user chooses.

If the user chooses car as the record type - he will see the fields and picklist values relevant to cars.

To read more about if, kindly follow the link:

http://login.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/customize_recordtype.htm

All Answers

Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC

Hi,

1) How can we enable some customizing for the customers? Let's say we deliver a custom object with 20 fields, but only 10 fields or relevant for a specific customer. Is there any way of hiding/disabling/... them?

Or having a screen where the customer can say which fields he would like to use?

<Sonam>When you say customers I suppose you mean your SF ORG Users - Yes, there is a way where if you have 20 fields in your ORG, you can show only 10 to the users using Pagelayouts : http://ap1.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/customize_layoutoverview.htm

2) What approach do we need to have on giving the customer standard options in a dropdown. For example a list of countries, a list of specific kind of types, a list of postal codes,...

Do we need this to be defined as a picklist? But what about translation of these values? Isn't it possible to have some kind of tables where this can be maintained?

<Sonam>There is a new feature in Salesforce called State and Country Picklist which will be helpful in the scenario: to read more, kindly go through :http://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=admin_state_country_picklists_overview.htm&language=en_US

Hope this helps!

THBrunoTHBruno

Thanks Sonam for the reply.

If we are building custom visualforce pages for custom objects. Do we need to define the fields in the pagelayouts (enable them). And then base our visualforce page on the selected fields in the page layout?

What I want to say is, could we "check" somewhere what fields are enabled in the pagelayout and only use those fields in the pagelayout for our visualforce pages?

Is something like this feasable, or is there another -easier- way to handle this if we are using the visualforce pages?

Thanks for the Picklist, will have a look at it!

Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC

Ahh so you plan to use Visualforce pages..

In this case, you actually do not need the pagelayout.

Pagelayout is used when you wish to use the Salesforce provided default UI and there you wish to manage the fields you want to show/hide from Users.

For VF pages, you can simply use the field name and display it on the page, no need to work with the pagelayout.

Hope I understood your question and the info provided helps..

THBrunoTHBruno
Yes Sonam, indeed! (that is what I did so far)

But what if my org user wants to disable the field?
If would like to have my visualforce pages show fields that the org user needs.

So in my controller or page, I would have to check if the customer wants to use a specific field.

Is there any way we can do this?

Thanks!
Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC

It would not be possible to have a user specific page which will show only fields that he wants to see(or has access to see)...but what we can do is.:

Have a VF page which displays all of the 20 fields and then give profile permission (through field level security) for that user to view only the 10 fields he wants to see(should have access to)

To read more about field level security: http://ap1.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/admin_fls.htm

And as for the user to disable a field : its just the admin(Admin profile user) who has these setup perms where he can make a field visible to users, general users won't have the ability to setup such funtionality.

THBrunoTHBruno

That sounds like what we need! I'll go through the articles and let you know if it was the solution!

Thanks a lot!

Bruno

THBrunoTHBruno
I've read the State and Country picklist option. Does similar feature also exist for other values?
Let's take the example of a vehicle vendor application. If we allow the application to sell cars, vans and large trucks.
We could have a dropdown describing our products in stock.

But now we have a customer that only sell cars and vans, so they don't want the option of "large trucks" in any dropdown or as reporting option. Is there any way this can be disabled or hidden?

Somewhat like the field security, but rather options in the field, as the field itself.
Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC

Yes Bruno, this is something that can be made possible using Record types...

What you can do is on the vehicle Object - have 3 record types namely - 

cars,

vans and

large trucks

Now you can customize all the picklist values and pagelayout depending on the record type value a user chooses.

If the user chooses car as the record type - he will see the fields and picklist values relevant to cars.

To read more about if, kindly follow the link:

http://login.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/customize_recordtype.htm

This was selected as the best answer
THBrunoTHBruno
Super Sonam!

Thanks a lot for your help!