function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mr. WMr. W 

Approval Process: Approver Not a User in Salesforce

Can Approval Processes be written so that a person, who is not an active user in salesforce, still recieve Approval Requets through email and approve or reject them triggering the next step?

How?

Thanks! 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
goabhigogoabhigo

NO says my experience. Though you can send emails through workflow to some email address, but if they click on the approve/reject link they will not be able to approve it.

To support my statement, the doc - https://help.salesforce.com/htviewhelpdoc?id=approvals_checklist.htm&siteLang=en_US, says:

Who can approve requests?Requests can be approved or rejected by any of the following:

• A user or queue that the approval request submitter chooses.
  • A queue specified by the administrator.
  • A user listed in the Manager standard field on the submitter's user detail page.
  • A user listed in a custom hierarchy field on the submitter's user detail page.
  • Any combination of users and related users (users listed in a standard or custom field on the submitted record) specified by the administrator.

Let me know if this helps.

All Answers

goabhigogoabhigo

NO says my experience. Though you can send emails through workflow to some email address, but if they click on the approve/reject link they will not be able to approve it.

To support my statement, the doc - https://help.salesforce.com/htviewhelpdoc?id=approvals_checklist.htm&siteLang=en_US, says:

Who can approve requests?Requests can be approved or rejected by any of the following:

• A user or queue that the approval request submitter chooses.
  • A queue specified by the administrator.
  • A user listed in the Manager standard field on the submitter's user detail page.
  • A user listed in a custom hierarchy field on the submitter's user detail page.
  • Any combination of users and related users (users listed in a standard or custom field on the submitted record) specified by the administrator.

Let me know if this helps.

This was selected as the best answer
Mr. WMr. W

Thanks for the response.

What is a queue and how does it work in approvals?

Also what about portal users?  Would there be a way to grant them access through a portal. They would update a field through an email sent to them and then have a workflow based on that field that automatically approves?

Thanks!

goabhigogoabhigo

Can you please go through the link which I posted. Also go through "See Also:" section in the bottom.