function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sushieatersushieater 

Answers + public site

Hi, 

We have a public knowledge base built using visual force, based on the sample provided. We'd like to implement answers on our public site. I have found the documentation and responses from salesforce conflicting and could use a push in the right direction.

1) Is the customer portal required to allow users to self-register?

2) Are the customer portal or partner portal required to implement answers and self-register?

3) Is the winter '11 release going to add any more functionality that would help with this project?

Any hints or knowledge appreciated. Thanks

EIE50EIE50

Hi,

For,

1) Yes a portal is required in order for the users to self register.

2) In order to authenticate users you need a portal.

3) I am not sure, some one else can answer this part.

Thanks.

sushieatersushieater

Thanks for the quick respsone.

Does it have to be the customer portal to self-register? Can you use the self-service portal?

EIE50EIE50

Hi,

Although i haven't used self service portal, i did go through the documentation for the same. AFAIK, you cannot use self service portal for self registration but you can use customer portal.

Thanks.

AntonyAntony

Hello,

I am the Product Manager in charge of Answers and we do have some good stuff coming that you might be interested in seeing. If you look at what was announced at Dreamforce this year, the new product is called Chatter Service which is a Q&A in the portal (requires Customer portal licenses or Service Cloud licenses), but also incorporates articles from the Knowledge Base. The product will use all the workflow rules to escalate questions to cases as you wish and Agents will be able to answer questions either publicly or privately to community members.

I am particularly excited by this new product which will launch in Pilot (although limited) in October.

Let me know,

Antony