function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sushieatersushieater 

knowledge file indexing

We have implemented an Public knowledge base using SF knowledge, based on the sample provided.

We are having problems with the indexing of our attachments. 

The documentation below
https://na1.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/knowledge_custom_field_types.htm
states that up to 25MB of documentation will be indexed. 

But I have an article with a pdf that is only 4 MB and it is only indexed for about 10% of the document. If I take the same content and paste it into a text file or a word doc, the same behaviour happens. The articles are only appear in search results when searching for terms in the first 10% of the document and it stops on roughly the same word for each of the document formats.

This is not the only document that this happens with.

This happens when searching on our public site, as well as when searching in the salesforce, "article management" section. 

Anyone have any experience with this? It happens in our sandbox as well as our production site.

Thanks

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sushieatersushieater

From salesforce support

R&D has determined there is an issue with the way large documents are indexed in knowledge. This is causing some truncation, which means only part of the document is searchable. They are working on the issue, but it will not be fixed until shortly after the Winter 12 release. Once the fix is put into place, the document will have to be reuploaded to be reindexed.

All Answers

francoisLfrancoisL

Sounds like a bug, you should enter a support case. They will be able to investigate. 

Thanks,

sushieatersushieater

Thanks, The bug has been in investigation for a month already. I was hoping someone in the community had experienced this before as it must be a common issue.

francoisLfrancoisL

Do you have the case Id? 

Thanks, 

sushieatersushieater

It was escalated to Tier3 this morning, so hopefully I will hear something back soon.

sushieatersushieater

From salesforce support

R&D has determined there is an issue with the way large documents are indexed in knowledge. This is causing some truncation, which means only part of the document is searchable. They are working on the issue, but it will not be fixed until shortly after the Winter 12 release. Once the fix is put into place, the document will have to be reuploaded to be reindexed.

This was selected as the best answer