function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
alithom39alithom39 

What's the best way to set custom object permissions in a managed package?

I have a managed package with some custom Lead fields and a few custom objects. I'd like the clients who install our package to have a few more levels of access to our custom objects other than 'Full Access' and 'No Access' (eg maybe a 'Read Only). My first thought was to package a Profile and have those permissions mapped on the 'Choose Security Level' screen of the package install, but then it came up that Standard Profiles can't be changed so they'd need to either already have custom Profiles or create them just for our package install. That then led me to Permission Sets, which can be manually assigned to specific users. The downside to this route is that you'd have to assign each user the permission set one by one (although there might be an app that does it). Has anybody else encountered this dilemma and what course of action makes most sense? One or the other, or both?

SamuelDeRyckeSamuelDeRycke

Permission sets are the way to go here i think.

You don't know what profiles are beeing used in your target organisations, in example: they could be using custom copies of the standard profiles. By including some permission sets, you give out of the box permissions which can be quickly configured to key users. If they want to roll the functionality out to a wider userbase, they can edit their own profiles to include the permissions of your permission sets right ?