function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Rick BanisterRick Banister 

Inflexibility vs convenience of WSDL architecture

Am developing an ETL application, which, if I do this right, could be used as an adapter for a major ETL product. Using the objects generated by axis from the WSDL file is not optimal, as the SFDC schema is subject to changes by the user community. Regeneration of the objects is an unwieldy, manual process. describeSObject reveals all the field names and types; What technique can I used besides the getters in the generated objects to retrieve the data values in a query?
SuperfellSuperfell
Hi,

You should look at the partner WSDL, this describes the service in a more generic way, the builk of the data being exposed as XmlElements (this might have a different name in Axis), where you use the results of describeSObject to determine what elements to look for in the response.
Rick BanisterRick Banister
1. Is the documentation the same as the enterprise doc?
2. I see references to get_any() in other threads and the PartnerSamples.java program. Is there a requirement to regenerate with axis if I only use weekly typed fields? Do I even have to generate from the WSDL, or can I just use the Partner Samples code?
SuperfellSuperfell
You can generate from the WSDL once, then re-use the stubs across different changes in the config (new custom fields/objects etc), and even across different organizations. You only need to regenerate when you want to move to a later version of the WSDL (e.g. going from 3.0 to 4.0)