function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BBSalesforceBBSalesforce 

select Record type depending on a the value of a custom field

Hi,

We have defined a new custom field in the contact object and we want to change the record type depending on the value of this field.

Name of field : source.

type: picklist

values : X or Y

If I click on a contact record with value X in the source field, I want the record type A to be selected

If I click on a contact record with value Y in the source field, I want the record type B to be selected

Is that technically possible through point and click?

If yes How ?

If No is there a workaround using VF / Apex to do it ?

Thanks

brian

werewolfwerewolf
The simplest way to do that would be to make a workflow and a field update which updates the record type -- so yes, you can do that point-and-click.
BBSalesforceBBSalesforce

Hi werewolf,

Thanks for the answer. But I think you misunderstood my question.

I am trying to have dynamical layout depending on the value in a field on the contact object.

For the creation page, I was playing on using record type and this is achieved through some redirection page using VF and extension. I wanted to have a standard point and click way of achieving this.

For the edit / view page, this is more tricky. I am here unable to use record type to choose my layout and so have to go for a completely custom VF page.

I wanted to know whether there was an easier faster way of doing it the standard point and click way.

Best regards,

Brian