function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Book_GuyBook_Guy 

Formula Question

Hi All

I'm trying to create a formula field on the Case Field that links to a Case Owner's User Profile.  Would like to pull a custom field on the User Profile called "Alternative Contact"

The thing we are trying to accomplish is populate an Alternative Contact field so that when a User is out of the office all of his Cases get assigned to this Alternative Contact.

Doesn't seem to be able to connect with fields on the User Profile the way one can connects with fields on other objects and was hoping to get some guidance on how to best connect with these fields.

Thank you.

David

shillyershillyer

If the custom field on the User object is called "Alternative Contact" - then the formula on the Case object can equal this:

$User.Alternative_Contact__c

Hope that helps,

Sati

Book_GuyBook_Guy

Sati,

I am trying to link to the User Profile for a Case Owner.  I believe the $User.Alternative_Contact__c will pull the Alternative Contact for the User logged into Salesforce.

David

youcyouc

1)Create a lookup field in Case. fx called UserLookup, which is point to User

2) create a trigger, set the the lookup field = 'the ownerid'

3) Then create a workflow, field update, make the field equals Userlookup__r.Alternative_Contact__c

or you just create a trigger to do all the works, query the owner, select u.Alternative_Contact__c from User u where u.id='the ownerid'; and update the field.