function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
hoagieryderhoagieryder 

Linking Custums Fields within Accounts

I was wondering if there was a way to somehow link a custum field in accounts to a field in another account. I have two record types, Banks and Holding Companies. Every bank has a Holding Company # field which corresponds to a Holding Company Account. I would like to be able to click on holding company # in bank and be brought to the corresponding Holding Companies Account. I have figured out how to do this linking to a custom object, or by linking account names, but not by a custom field. Any ideas?

werewolfwerewolf

You could just add a Lookup Relationship to Account that would hold the link to the holding company.

hoagieryderhoagieryder

When I do that I can only "lookup" account names. I want to be able to lookup a custom field, holding copany #. Is there a way to do that?

werewolfwerewolf

You can make a formula field that picks up the account number from the parent (via that lookup field) and which makes a link to the account using the HYPERLINK function.

hoagieryderhoagieryder

I guess I am a little bit confused. I am essentially revamping the way we were previously storing the data on our clients. I want to set up a child/parent relationship based on a HC #, instead of Account Name. We will be importing 25,000 clients and I was hoping that I could somehow automatically connect accounts through the HC #, without having to go through every record and manually look up and set child accounts. I apologize in advance, I am new to this but reading as many resources as possible!