function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AidenAiden 

Checking schema and other changes into source control

I'm doing most of my development via Eclipse. From this IDE, I can easily check in apex classes, visual force pages etc. into Source Control. The only gotcha is that new field definitions etc. don't appear to be synchronized to Eclipse. I'm wondering how folks add these to source control?

thanks!

Aiden

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
JonPJonP

Right-click on the "src" folder in your project and select Force.com > Add/Remove Metadata Components.  This will allow you to control what components from your organization are synchronized with your local project.

Jon

salesforce.com Product Manager

All Answers

youcyouc

the new field definitions are defined in object(the one these fields belong to)'s metadata file.  

AidenAiden

Sorry, I still don't get it. In the Force.COM IDE for Eclipse, under source I see "applications, classes, components, pages, staticresources and triggers". There is a schema browser, but no object file set. Is there additional configuration that I need to do to get these? 

JonPJonP

Right-click on the "src" folder in your project and select Force.com > Add/Remove Metadata Components.  This will allow you to control what components from your organization are synchronized with your local project.

Jon

salesforce.com Product Manager

This was selected as the best answer
AidenAiden

thanks!

AidenAiden

Thanks all for the replies on this. I found (much later) that the solutions proposed above have one major drawback - they can lead to a major degradation in Eclipse performance. For synch etc, I wouldn't mind this, but the real gotcha is that the larger your project is, the slower save appears to be a single file. 

Link below gives a good workaround;

http://www.tgerm.com/2010/03/fast-save-refresh-force-ide-eclipse.html