function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
LVSLVS 

Triggers and Order of Execution - Workflow field updates

Below is Salesforce's documentation on the order of execution on save of a record : validations, triggers and so on.

Order of Execution

The note under pt.11 says, "The before and after triggers fire one more time only if something needs to be updated. If the fields have already been set to a value, the triggers are not fired again".

I find the second statement "If the fields have already been set to a value, the triggers are not fired again" confusing. How does the system know that a field has already been set to a value? If they mean "no field updates on that object", doesn't it make the sentence redundant?

Am I missing something here?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Prajapati.LakhanPrajapati.Lakhan

Hi LVS,

What I interpreted with that statement is that if there is no change in the field's value after field update action is executed,  then before/after triggers will not be executed again. e.g  Suppose I have setup a field update action on status custom field of an object, this action updates its value to "Approved" if that custom field already contains the value as "Approved" then after execution of this field update trigger will not be executed again because there is no actual update in the record.

Thanks,

Lakhan