function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RobKretzRobKretz 

Field Relationships (Accounts & Opportunities

Hello! 

I have a custom field in the Accounts tab called, " Strategic Account", which is a NUMBER field 

I need to have this custom field in the OPPORTUNITY layout. 

So for example if I start a new Opportunity and select Account Name: Company ABC, the Strategic Account field will automatically populate to the number I associated it with in Accounts. 

Thanks in advance! 

-Rob 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
jsnyderjsnyder

When setting up the formula field at the place where you are entering in the field name to display, click on "Advanced Formula" tab, "Insert Field" button, then "Opportunity >" , "Account >" , then select the field name you want to display, then click on "Insert".

You should then see something like "Account.Strategic_Account__c" in your formula box.  The method above obtains the actual API name of the field and formats it correctly.

Then you can click on "Check Syntax" bleow the formula box to see if it worked, and then save.

All Answers

jsnyderjsnyder

Just make a formula(text) or formula(number) field on the opportunity object that contains Account.Strategic_Account__c or whatever the api name of the account field you'd like to display.

Then add that field to the opporutnity page layout you'd like it displayed on.

RobKretzRobKretz

Hi- 

Maybe I'm missing something. 

When I set up the Formula field in Opportunities and then place the API of the Account field "Strategic Account" or Strategic_Account__C in the formula-- 

The error message says it doesn't exist. What else do I need?? 

Thanks in advance! 

jsnyderjsnyder

When setting up the formula field at the place where you are entering in the field name to display, click on "Advanced Formula" tab, "Insert Field" button, then "Opportunity >" , "Account >" , then select the field name you want to display, then click on "Insert".

You should then see something like "Account.Strategic_Account__c" in your formula box.  The method above obtains the actual API name of the field and formats it correctly.

Then you can click on "Check Syntax" bleow the formula box to see if it worked, and then save.

This was selected as the best answer
RobKretzRobKretz

Works great! 

Thank you!