function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DMTRDMTR 

Patterns for existing set of child objects

I'm looking for some (existing) ideas and/or Patterns that would allow me to work with a set of pre-configured child objects.

On a master object wizard available to end user, the end user adds all data necessary for master object, and then in the same wizard creates the relationship by including (via checkbox) any child objects that have been made available for inclusion.

Maybe not the best example, but say this is a budget airline selling a seat (master object) and during booking the passenger can include a possible 3 child objects (media set, blanket, meal) to be included or not.

Solution needs to be flexible enough to cater for possible new child objects being added to the system.

I suppose I will create some junction object linking children with master object under teh vover, whereas in the UI children are added while creting master object, rather than cretaing a child object and linking it up with parent.

Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi DMTR, 

You can create set of fields and put it under sections and extend the same object, except there is a specific need for the different objects. 

Its better if you can leverage the same object. 

Regards,

Ashish

DMTRDMTR

Ashish,

Thanks for reply but I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

Just in case, on the UI it would look like:

My Booking

• Meal
  • Media-pack
  • Blanket

So Meal, Media-Pack and Blanket would be of a custom object type BookingAddOn, and they are related to a (parent) Booking custom object. Users cannot create new objects of type BookingAddO. They only see the (administrator crreated) standard values when they create a new Booking object, and there is a GUI Wizard that allows to include (via a checkbox) the BookingAddOn objects to Booking object, hence creating the relationship between Booking Object and BookingAddOn objects.

Overtime new types of BookingAddOn might be created, and for new Bookings, the new options should be automatically included in the GUI as options.

For linking Booking objects with BookingAddOn, I assume I'll use some intermediat object, with a refernce to Booking and reference to BookingAddon. All BookingAddOn objects for a given booking are then queried by findng all intermediate objects for a given Booking Id.

Can you clarify what you intend when you say 'extend the same object'? Not quite clear.

Regards.

Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi DMTR, 

Sure, i meant you can create few more fields in the same parent object and need not create any child objects. 

My suggession to you was to create other sections in the same parent object for the three catagories and add the respective fields rather than creating child objects. 

That would be a simpler approach.

Regards,

Ashish