function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AmiePAmieP 

setting up privacy settings for specific account record types

Our company is very customized and I am stuck right now.  How our account system is set up is that we have five different account record types: Account - Payer, Account - Provider, etc..  I am trying to set it up so that particular profiles can edit some account record types but still see all of them.  For example, I would like my sales team to be able to edit the payer accounts but not touch our provider accounts.

Is this possible?  Would I need to create permission sets in order to do this? 

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Rise AnalyticsRise Analytics

Hi AmieP,

You can accomplish this through criteria-based sharing rules. Since the record types are set up, just set the org wide default for Accounts to Public Read Only and then create a criteria-based sharing rule that shares the account based on record type to the public group or role hierarchy that defines your sales team.

Let me know if you have any questions implementing this.

Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi AmieP, 

Permission sets are used to open up access but cannot be used to restric access. 

To restrict access you have to control with the organization sharing settings and open / grant access in addition to OWD using sharing rules or permission sets. 

In your case as advised above you have to retrict at the central level, then create a group with additional access and then create a criteria based sharing rule. 

Regards,

Ashish

AmiePAmieP

If I grant everyone Read access and then assign permission sets to open access to Edit, can I assign the permission sets to a Role or a Profile?  Or do I have to assign to the specific Users.  Our company has a high turnover, so this is just not practical for us.

Thanks so much for your help!

Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi AmieP,

You can either create a Permission Set or a Sharing Rule. 

You can create permission set on User Level. 

For creating a sharing rule you can create it either on Role level or by creating a User Group. 

See below links for further info, 

Permission Sets: https://help.salesforce.com/htviewhelpdoc?err=1&id=perm_sets_create.htm&siteLang=en_US

Sharing Rules: https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=security_about_sharing_rules.htm&language=en_US

Post again if you have any questions. 

Regards,

Ashish

If your question is answered, please mark the post as Solved.