function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Carole Reynolds1Carole Reynolds1 

Email to Case - Bounce Message Not Working and/or Need to Send to Another Address

We are using email to case and have selected "bounce message".

We have discovered that on a couple occasions people have sent in attachments over the 10MB limit - the email did not come into SF of course, however, no one received a bounce notification. The person sending did not receive a message, and the email list that it was sent to did not.

We use gmail - and the email address for this particular email to case instance is an email list. I have a feeling the bounce is getting caught in some type of loop.

Has anyone experianced bounces for over the file limit size not working?  Is there a resolution?

AND/OR

Has anyone developed a trigger or something to notify another party on a bounce outside of the built in bounce function?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi Ravin, 

Thanks for explaining,

When sender is sending directly to routing email address(roadsoft@mtu.edu) that again sends - converts to the Service email address. 

If the Service email address is sending the bounce DIRECTLY that means it has been properly configuerd in Salesforce. 

The issue lies with the Routing email address "roadsoft@mtu.edu " which has to be set / confgured by your GMAIL Admin. 

Please reach out to your gmail admin to check / set the rule to even send the bounced emails on the criteria to the Sender. 

Also, see the article below, 

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?urlname=How-does-Email-to-Case-On-Demand-handle-bouncing-of-messages-that-exceed-the-attachment-size-limit-1327107585347&language=en_US

Regards,

Ashish

If your question is answered, please mark this post as solved. 

All Answers

Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi Ravin, 

The Sender will receive a email delivery failure bounce if the attachment is greater than 10MB. 

Did you test it with an external Email address as well? Are you using any Salesforce integration to Gmail in your Org.?

This has to be a standard behavior and would not need any customization. 

Regards,

Ashish

We have 2 types of addresses.. one is an email list address (loadrating@mtu.edu for example) and an alias for the assigned salesforce service address (roadsoft@mtu.edu alias for roadsoft@2-192bh297ex1k668awcw97a5um.aivhjma4.g.case.salesforce.com

When the email passes through either of these into salesforce and hits the 10MB ceiling NEITHER pushes out a bounce to the sender. We can see the email come into gmail, we do not see a bounce going out.

I have tried sending email into both addresses from creynolds@mtu.edu (work email on gmail domain), ravinsunkiller99@gmail.com (personal email), ctnoonan@hotmail.com (personal email) - no bounce received UNLESS I send the message DIRECTLY to the service address! 

We are not using any salesforce to gmail integration apps.

Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi Ravin, 

Thanks for explaining,

When sender is sending directly to routing email address(roadsoft@mtu.edu) that again sends - converts to the Service email address. 

If the Service email address is sending the bounce DIRECTLY that means it has been properly configuerd in Salesforce. 

The issue lies with the Routing email address "roadsoft@mtu.edu " which has to be set / confgured by your GMAIL Admin. 

Please reach out to your gmail admin to check / set the rule to even send the bounced emails on the criteria to the Sender. 

Also, see the article below, 

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?urlname=How-does-Email-to-Case-On-Demand-handle-bouncing-of-messages-that-exceed-the-attachment-size-limit-1327107585347&language=en_US

Regards,

Ashish

If your question is answered, please mark this post as solved. 

This was selected as the best answer

Ashish, Thanks for your response. I concur that the problem is on the gmail end, and I have created a case with the folks that manage that. My concern is that they will not find a viable work around for this problem since Salesforce is not a university wide supported system. If I am unable to find a solution within gmail, I will need to come up with a work around in salesforce - a trigger perhaps that would notify me (administrator) or another party when something bounces from salesforce. Any thougts/ideas? 

Thanks for the link BTW - that was helpful.

Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi Ravin, 

Thanks for getting back, 

The setting is pretty clear and understood by the Outlook Admins, so should be the case with GMail admin as well. 

However if you have any further issues, please raise a support case or post here we will try our best to get this fixed. 

Regards,

Ashish, Salesforce.com

If your question is answered, please mark the post as Solved.