function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DDDD 

Web to Lead Short app to Long app

HELP!!!  I am not sure if this can be done...but sure hoping so.

When clients come to my website and fill out my web to lead form it creates a lead in SalesForce and then directs them to anther page with a longer application.  On this second page, I have another Web to Lead form put together to capture this additional data.  When the client fills out this second web to lead form, will this information be captured in the correct lead inside SalesForce that was originally inputed on page one? or will it create a new lead? 

Any help is very much appreciated. 

Thanks!!

RpeeRpee

Using the built-in Web-To-Lead functionality, this is doable, but not optimal.

You could certainly redirect to a longer form by using the post redirect URL, but the second form would create a second lead. You could potentially write a trigger that somehow attached the leads together, but that sounds a bit hokey.

Best option would probably be a dynamic visualforce page exposed to the web through Sites.

DDDD

Thanks for the reply. That is the problem that I am running into when I get to the second page it creates a second lead in SalesForce.  What do you mean by a dynamic visualforce page exposed to the web through Sites? Not sure what you are referencing...

Thanks!

vampirevampire

it can be done by using a custom web to lead form or by doing integration and using update method

DDDD

Any suggestions on where I can lean to implement the integration or updating method you speak of?

RpeeRpee

What you're looking to do is not simple, but can be done using VIsualForce and Sites. 

Those are 2 major topics covered in developer guides, online training, etc, but if you're just starting out, it would be best to go through the Force.com developer cookbook, etc.

http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Forcedotcomworkbook

http://developer.force.com/cookbook/category/websites/recent

Good luck.

vampirevampire

It can be done using custom web to lead, for that you will need a prefessional programer who has already done some integration using web services api.

Later on a better idea stuck in my mind-

develop a trigger (before insert) whenlead comes second time,which will search the database for existing lead ( based on email or phone) delete the old lead and insert the new one.

Hope this helps, however it is not a permanent solution and depending upon traffic will hit the governer limit.

You can also opt to do this in an apex class and schedule it to overcome the governor limit problem.