function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Aaron-bmoAaron-bmo 

Research Web Service

Hi all,

I am looking into the possibility of creating a Research Web Service for our company which can be used by our internal employees (through Office Research functionality) to look up company approved terms related to our business.  Since SFDC can be integrated with virtually anything, and from all the documentation and posts I have read about the subject so far, I am confident that this is very much possible to do. However, I'm not a developer by any means and most of the information goes right over my head.

I am planning to create a small custom object which would house the terms as records, with maybe 5 or 6 different fields for each record.

Here's what I understand so far (correct me if I am wrong):

• Office Reseach is the web service client, and its structure and methods to communicate with the web service are predefined.
  • SFDC can host a web service, through an apex class.
I am not sure how, since both sides have their own structure, I can get the client and service to talk to each other. Does anyone have any examples of an integration such as described above they might be able to share? Or even any pointers, suggestions or tips that might help me get started? Will this little project require more in depth development, or would someone who has dabbled into apex, with some help from the SFDC community, be able to get this rolling?
Thanks very much,

TechEye CreationsTechEye Creations

Hi,

It will require little dabbling with Apex to call out the required webservice. Check the following documentation from Salesforce.com on how this can be done.

http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Apex_Web_Services_and_Callouts#Apex_Callouts

See specifically Apex Callouts if you want Apex to invoke external webservices. You will also need to keep in mind the various limits imposed.

In case you require any help feel free to connect to us at support@techeyecreations.com

Thanks