function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Inertia1024Inertia1024 

MIgrating a complete installation

We are new to SF development and recently created a simple app that uses a few custom fields, objects and triggers.  Unfortunately, the entire thing is running within a free "Dev" account (rather than a standard Force.com account).  Is there any reasonable way to take that entire installation and somehow import or migrate it into another SF account?  

The account rep I spoke with said that everything would need to be recreated within an Enterprise account.  But that sounds insane to me.  What would be the purpose of a dev account if I can't deploy my work to another SF (client) account.

I appreciate any insights or help...

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sfdcfoxsfdcfox

Assuming you've completed the requirements for installing into another organization (i.e. test coverage), you can go to Setup > Create > Packages, create a new package, add all the necessary components, and then upload it as a private package. Then, you can install it into another organization.

Alternatively, get the Eclipse Toolkit, perform a metadata export into an offline package, then use the Force > Deploy To Server option to send it into the new (client) organization. Remember, you must make sure your code coverage exceeds 75% in order to deploy. This applies only if you have any code (triggers, visualforce, apex code) to install.

All Answers

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

Assuming you've completed the requirements for installing into another organization (i.e. test coverage), you can go to Setup > Create > Packages, create a new package, add all the necessary components, and then upload it as a private package. Then, you can install it into another organization.

Alternatively, get the Eclipse Toolkit, perform a metadata export into an offline package, then use the Force > Deploy To Server option to send it into the new (client) organization. Remember, you must make sure your code coverage exceeds 75% in order to deploy. This applies only if you have any code (triggers, visualforce, apex code) to install.

This was selected as the best answer
Anil GandhiAnil Gandhi

Please search about Changeset in Salesforce.com help. You can use changeset to deploy the code.

Inertia1024Inertia1024

Once I figured out creating a test class for my triggers, this method worked great.

I just wished for an easy way to move the data as well...  export/import was painful using the data loader.

Thanks again for the tip!

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

There's several tools out there already, (e.g. DemandTools) that allows you to move data with minimal effort. I'm actually designing my own competitive software as well, but it's still vaporware, and will probably be a few months before I get mine out the door (i.e. you should probably consider a real working product instead of waiting on my software).