function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
How to convert S-Control to VFHow to convert S-Control to VF 

virtualization ??

Please explain me ...what is virtualization in cloud computing?

How different is cloud computing from virtualization??

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sfdcfoxsfdcfox

Cloud computing is using hosted services (i.e. database.com, force.com, etc) to run applications. In this concept, you effectively "rent" the service, and in return, they provide all the hardware and software support you need so you can focus on actually using the application instead of having to worry about the underlying hardware. This tends to lower the TCO for most applications.

Virtualization is the process of running a program or operating system (usually the latter) in a virtual environment; this means that the "guest" operating system runs as an application inside a "host" operating system. The "guest" is unaware that there is an underlying operating system, and there may be multiple "guests" on a single "host." This is often done so that hardware can be fully utilized (most servers are not running nearly even close to full capacity), and so that system faults can be easily recovered. Upgrades can be slipped into place by changing a few software settings instead of upgrading hardware.

Cloud computing virtualization is simply virtualization that runs on a hosted service (such as the virtual application servers offered by rackspace.com and other hosting services). VMForce is one such service that will be offered in the near future, and is a joint effort using salesforce.com's hardware and VMWare's software (not necessarily exclusively, but I'm intentionally keeping it simple). Using such a service frees you from hardware costs (cloud computing does this), and provides fault tolerance, seamless upgrades, and so on (by virtualization).