function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ryepesryepes 

mapping fields

Can you map fields from a custom object to a standard object?

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

In what manner?

1) Is this from some one hitting a button on record "A" and auto populating record "B" on a different object?

2) Or do you need just a selection that was made on record "A" to show on objects "B" record?

For 1 you can create a custom button that auto populates fields from object A to object B's record.

For 2 you can create a cross object formula (Note that this field would not be editable)

PB

ryepesryepes

Thank you for your reply.

I am using the social app in salesforce, when i hit create case button i would like some fields to map over to the case fields automatically. similar to the lead conversion process.

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

yea you would have to create a custom URL button for this....

If you search on the board for "Custom URL button" you will find some results to give you a better understanding on how to write this.

If it is going to a standard object, I actually think it is more complex then going to a custom object. For standard object you will need to find the mapping, for custom objects you can just reference the field ID.

I will try to look this up and attach it to this thread if I find it as it was a very helpful tool.

PB

ryepesryepes

Thank you. The other limitiation that i have is its a manage package that im trying to work with.

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

Here is the link.

http://salesforce.phollaio.com/2007/04/02/how_to_obtain_a_field_id/

Here is an example:

/500/e?retURL=%2F500%2Fo   (Note: go to the object you want and click "New" and then copy everything pass the Salesforce.com to the Fo, this tell the system what type of record it should be creating)

&cas4={!Account.Name}  (Use the mapping above if it is a standard object to detemine the field ID as &cas4 means the account field)

&cas1=Web

&CF00N70000002vKe7={!Opportunity.Name }&CF00N70000002vKe7_lkid={!Opportunity.Id} (For custom fields, just list the field ID) 

&RecordType=01270000000MHlr

&retURL=/{!Opportunity.Id}

&saveURL=/{!Opportunity.Id}

Hope this helps.

PB

brielea1984brielea1984

If you are deploying to other environments, the Field ID changes. Do you have any suggestions on how to create a button that does the same thing but can take into consideration a new environment?