function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
carlocarlo 

Web based Editor for Customers to view + edit their SF info

Hello

I want to build a web based editor for our customers.  They would use this to view the information we have stored for them and also edit this.  This would involve some form of password authentication.

Obviously this info is stored in SF now.

I know there are hundreds of ways to do this but thought I would ask on here if there is a common path most people are using or would recommend.

Thanks

Carlo

h8r41dh8r41d

Salesforce makes it possible to expose information to the outside world with a few methods. There is the API, which you could connect to using some third party application. There is also the option of using a publicly exposed "site" that can display data and forms with visualforce. There is also the option of setting up a customer portal, but this option might incur additional costs as you have to pay for portal users.

What I would do is create a public site using salesforce's built in site feature, and set up a custom object to store usernames and passwords, and use visualforce to create a simple authentication barrier. Then you can display the fields you want to enable them to edit without having to add additional portal users, but that would be at your discretion based on budget, how many users you have, or on how serious you are about security.

Gabriel Alack
Contact Us - We Can Help!

Salesforce Superheroes
------------------------------