function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DekorDekor 

Using upsert via dataloader to update reference fields

Good Morning,

I have been using dataloader for quite some time now to update our salesforce system with new assets each time we perform a new install.  Since the spring update a problem seems to have been introduced in regards to the dataloader and updating lookup/reference fields.

We custom field as an external ID called "Asset tag" which is unique for every asset.  On my assets I have a reference field called "parent asset" which contains an asset tag for the asset that this asset is fitted to.  Up until recently I had a column in my template for importing for "parent asset" and I could just enter the external ID value into this and it worked fine.

However now when I try to import and specify a valid "Asset Tag" in this parent ID field I get this error:

Parent ID: id value of incorrect type:

Has anyone else seen this and been able to find a work around?  I don't want to have to specify the salesforce ID for asset as this will involve a lot more extra work, hence the use of external ID in the first place.

Kind Regards

Dean

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
DekorDekor

Figured it out. 

On Step 2.B you are asked to "Choose your related options".  So for my custom lookup field "Parent_id___R" I set this to match to my external ID for asset object. 

Then when on the mapping screen you now have an extra option:

Parent_id___R:asset tag

If I map this to my column in my source .csv it works fine.

Interesting fact, once you have created the custom mapping you don't need to use the option on 2b in future, just skip and select mapping and bang, import works fine.

Obviously since reformatting I had to recreate mapping template so this will be how I missed it! 

All Answers

DekorDekor

Update.  Thinking about it, may not just be the spring update.  I had to reformat my machine recently and so had to install dataloader.  Perhaps it is due to a newer version of dataloader that has this restriction?

DekorDekor

Figured it out. 

On Step 2.B you are asked to "Choose your related options".  So for my custom lookup field "Parent_id___R" I set this to match to my external ID for asset object. 

Then when on the mapping screen you now have an extra option:

Parent_id___R:asset tag

If I map this to my column in my source .csv it works fine.

Interesting fact, once you have created the custom mapping you don't need to use the option on 2b in future, just skip and select mapping and bang, import works fine.

Obviously since reformatting I had to recreate mapping template so this will be how I missed it! 

This was selected as the best answer