function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jim ProtheJim Prothe 

How to auto-populate a web form?

Greetings,

I'm building a web-to-lead form, and I'd like visitors coming from an email to have the form populated automatically with whatever data I already have on them within salesforce.com.

In other words, if I already know who someone is in my org, I don't want to force them to fill in all their information again.

Thanks!

Jim

werewolfwerewolf
That would not be something you'd do with Web To Lead.  You'd be better off doing that as a Sites or Customer Portal page.
jkucerajkucera

http://blogs.salesforce.com/marketing/2009/06/salesforce-sites-event-registration-pages-summer-09-part-3.html

Here's more details on the code to get you started with a sites page.  You could change the controller to Lead in this case if you wanted to pre-populate the form for new lead creation.

CaptainObviousCaptainObvious

As an alternative to Sites or Customer Portal, you could use URL parameters in the link to your web-to-lead form and Javascript to do the pre-population.

For example, say your web-to-lead form is located at www.mycompany.com/contactus.html

With URL parameters, the link becomes: www.mycompany.com/contactus.html?fn=John&ln=Wayne&e=jwayne@xyz.com

You would then write Javascript to parse the parameters from the URL and map (pre-populate) the corresponding fields on the web-to-lead form.

In the above example, fn would prepopulate First Name, ln = Last Name, e = Email, and so on.

Depending on the number of fields you need pre-populated, the link could get long & ugly! But it most certainly can be done on a standard web-to-lead form.