function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BigRobBigRob 

Automatic Case Threading

Does anyone know how to setup Automatic Case Threading in Salesforce?

The documentation appears to be pretty thin

werewolfwerewolf
You are likely referring to Email To Case.  Check out the documentation on that.
lvivaninlvivanin

Two weeks back I solved the similar issue for one of our clients:

1. Created Custom Field on Case object named Case Reference (Data type - Formula)
2. Assigned the formula as: "[ ref:"&LEFT( $Organization.Id , 4 )&RIGHT( $Organization.Id , 4 )&"."&LEFT( Id , 4 )&RIGHT( Id , 5 )&":ref ]". This formula works as the Case thread
3. Used this Case Reference on my Subject and Body of the related E-mail template

hope it helps

werewolfwerewolf
Actually there's already a merge field on Case that does that, you know.  {!Case.Thread_Id}.
werewolfwerewolf
In any case, the thread ID that we are both referencing is used by Email To Case.
lvivaninlvivanin

thank you werewolf,

as i didn't see the {!Case.Thread_Id}  merge filed on the e-mail template, i went through the long path.

thank you very much again.

BigRobBigRob
I've found out that replies get associated with the outbound activity emails rather than becoming new activity entries. You open the activity email and look for a link at the top “Click here to view the associated Email Message.”

You can then see the response from the user.

There is a third party Salesforce add-on called “Email to Case Premium” that will create “Case comments” for inbound replies from customers. I'll look at that option. Thanks