function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AkaedingAkaeding 

Need Help: Lookup/Multi-select picklist

Hey all!

Here's my scenario:

Our customers are at specific web sites.  When they report an issue, they can (and often do) report the issue as occuring on MORE than their own site.

Currently, cases are automatically associated to the account that the contact is associated to.  But we need to be able to do essentially 2 things:

1. I don't want to break the contact/account relationship, but I need a way to identify that the issue being reported is NOT necessarily being reported for that Account record.

2. I need to enable the ability to attribute the case to more than one account record at a time.  Parent/Child accounts is not enough, as often the issue could be reported on 2 of the say 15 sites that are child accounts to the parent.

What I think I need is a "Lookup Field/Multi-Select Picklist".

My vision for the field is that it would allow support agents here to select from a list of values, populated from a custom field we created in every account recor.  They would need to be able to select 1 or more values in this field.

Thanks in advance for any help!

GoodGrooveGoodGroove

1. I don't want to break the contact/account relationship, but I need a way to identify that the issue being reported is NOT necessarily being reported for that Account record.

Sounds interessting :D

Why not create a kind of junction Objects:

Otherwise you could create Child Cases for each 'Account Site'.

Could you provide more details, how your proceess works? 

AkaedingAkaeding

We use the self-service portal for our support system.

We have several customers, each has a Coporate level account.  

Child accounts to those have been created for each site.

Each account (parent or child) has been given a custome field we called "Sitekey"

Contacts are assigned to a single Account record.

Contacts occasionally submit cases that are reports of support issues for multiple sites, hence our need to be able to select the "sitekey" for multiple account records.

Currently, when a contact submits a new case, it is automatically associated as a "problem" for the Account to which they are assigned.

We want the capability on our side of the system to capture a scenario where a Contact submits a case that applies to multiple accounts.

The reason I am hoping to use a "lookup/multi-select picklist" type field is that when new Accounts are created, I don't want to have to create the new account record AND update a manually crafted multi-select picklist.

Managing information in 1 place instead of lots of places = more better!

Does that clarify the scenario at all?