function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dietcoladietcola 

How to set default value after lead conversion

Hello, all-

I work for a nonprofit trying to set up Salesforce for non-sales purposes, so we're currently trying to tweak our environment.  I personally am brand new to Salesforce, so please forgive (and correct!) any terminology I use incorrectly.

We have a custom field (a multi-picklist) on our Account page layout, and whenever we convert a Lead into a Person Account, we always need the same value to show up in that field on the converted Person Account.  The only way I know to make this happen is to create a replica custom multi-picklist field on the Lead page, map it to the matching picklist on the Person Account page, and instruct the end user to select that value every single time they create a new lead before they convert it to a Person Account.

Is there a way around this so that the end user won't have to manually complete this step every time they create a new lead?

Many thanks in advance.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
dietcoladietcola

I wanted to post this in case anyone else comes across this board with the same issue I was having.  The solution posted above looked like it should work, but it didn't for some reason (though I appreciate the help!)

Here is the solution from Salesforce Help Desk that does work:

When your company uses Record Types you must define the Default Picklist Value at the Record Type level.
Please follow below steps to set the Default Picklist Value at the Record Type Level.
1. Click Setup | Customize and choose the appropriate tab link.
2. Click the Record Types link.
3. Choose the appropriate Record Type.
4. Select a default value for the Picklist in the Record Type.
5. Click Save.

All Answers

SAKOSAKO

Hi there,

Yes that's the easiest way to do so. I implemented such a field on the Lead (it is hidden from the users, so they actually don't  need to fill out anything).

1. Create the multiple picklist field on the lead. (Define the relevant value as default).

2. Add the field to the page layout, but keep it hidden over the field access functionality (that's where you create the field)

3. Map the field

That's the only workaround I know and the only one SF.com Helpdesk could give me...

Best

dietcoladietcola

I actually tried this before and was unsuccessful with it, but I'm sure I must have just missed a step in there.  Very good to know that it worked for you, though--I'll give it another shot and bother the Help Desk if it doesn't work for me.

Thanks so much for your help!

dietcoladietcola

I wanted to post this in case anyone else comes across this board with the same issue I was having.  The solution posted above looked like it should work, but it didn't for some reason (though I appreciate the help!)

Here is the solution from Salesforce Help Desk that does work:

When your company uses Record Types you must define the Default Picklist Value at the Record Type level.
Please follow below steps to set the Default Picklist Value at the Record Type Level.
1. Click Setup | Customize and choose the appropriate tab link.
2. Click the Record Types link.
3. Choose the appropriate Record Type.
4. Select a default value for the Picklist in the Record Type.
5. Click Save.

This was selected as the best answer