function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
guitardjguitardj 

Creating Custom Link using API

Hi all,

I'm a newbie using salesforce Webservices API. My question is pretty straightfoward. Is there a way to create a custom link through salesforce Webservices API? If there is, may someone please write the code here to show me how? I would appreciate it if this is done in Java or VB.

Thank you VERY MUCH!!
Take care
Ron HessRon Hess
Not at this time , i believe it has been feature requested.
guitardjguitardj
Hey Ron,

Thanks for your information. I appreciate it a lot. Quick question, when will it be available through salesforce.com API to create custom links? It's pretty important to my company's data integration. Additionally, is there a way to retrieve data from custom link if it's already created/existed on the salesforce.com, if there is, may you or someone please share the knowledge with me?

Thank you so much!
Take care
Ron HessRon Hess
i can't comment on future features, file a feature request and ask your support rep.

However, with the Winter06 release you will be able to create a Custom Link, upload ( package) it to the AppExchange as a private entry, then "register" it, get a link to it, and then using this link, you will be able to deploy that custom link into any other salesforce.com orginization.

however i'm not sure i understood your question about creating a custom link, once you create one using the app, all users can access it via page layout modifications, so you should not have to re-create it.

also, i think i heard you say,
Q:how can i fire my custom link and retrieve the data ?

A:use a browser.

NOTE: i've not tried this...
this is (running a custom link or s-control) normaly done in a browser, so you would have to open ( or build and open) a browser then try calling the custom link.
this can be attempted in most popular languages, i don't know how to do it in java
NOTE: i've not tried this...

Message Edited by Ron Hess on 12-01-2005 12:38 PM

benjasikbenjasik
You can create WebLinks via the API. Check out the Weblink object.

You cannot add weblinks to a page layout yet via the API
Chiyaan AnanthChiyaan Ananth

Hi Benji,

If I can only create weblinks and can not add it to a page layout,  then what is the use of weblinks?  Is it possible to add weblinks and have it in home page layout?

Ananth Chellathurai

Blog