function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Rick.BanisterRick.Banister 

API usage metering in 7.0

This is something for Salesforce.com to answer, as it relates to future functionality in the API.

I am reviewing 7.0 API functionality and notice some things that could cause problems down the road when usage metering is turned on. The issue has to do with the limit of 5,000 calls per 24 hour period, and knowing when we're going to hit the wall and more specifically how the meter measures usage.

First of all, how can I get usage statistics on an org? If we're going to bounce up against the daily limit, it would by dandy to see if an org is actually close to or over that limit.

The doc says that the API can't have more than 5 method calls open that have lasted longer than 5 seconds. This is not possible to test in a Developer org, since the number of records in a Developer org is statistically trivial.

There appears to be no way to terminate a method call (say, like closing a cursor). I can't tell if it shows up on the meter as serial or concurrent connections.

Thanks in advance for the heads up.
darozdaroz
I thought those limitations were for DE orgs only, not EE?

Edit: Yes, it's DE orgs only. See here: http://www.sforce.com/us/docs/sforce70/sforce_API_rate_metering.html

Message Edited by daroz on 12-27-2005 10:21 PM

benjasikbenjasik
As Daroz says, the limiting is for DE orgs only

Where do you see this: "The doc says that the API can't have more than 5 method calls open that have lasted longer than 5 seconds" in the docs?

We have some limits on the # cusrors you can have open.
benjasikbenjasik
Scratch my igorance. Yes, a DE org can have no more than 5 concurrent calls at any given time.
SuperfellSuperfell
That's correct, for a developer edition organization, you can't have more than 5 concurrent api requests.
EdHEdH

In regard to part of Rick's original question

"First of all, how can I get usage statistics on an org? If we're going to bounce up against the daily limit, it would by dandy to see if an org is actually close to or over that limit. "

Does anyone know if there is way of seeing that?

Thanks

benjasikbenjasik
We're working on exposing this info.  Today, you'll get the exception.  If you are hitting the limit frequently, and the limit is too low for your integration needs, we can work with you to increase it, but we've found that very few people are hitting the limit on DE orgs.
EdHEdH
Thank you for the reply.

We are not hitting it (did once), but I just wanted to see if there was an easy way I could see how much we are hitting it.

Thanks