function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jeevesjeeves 

Adding a task to an existing case

Hi,
     I am new to the AppXchange APIs so this may sound very trivial but I couldnt figure out a lot from the documents. I am enhancing the email2case agent and I got it to work with the partner WSDL for version 7.0. The next step is I want to handle email messages that are a followup to a case by adding it to an existing case as a task rather than opening up a new case which the email2case agent does by default. Is there a way to achieve such functionality through either the enterprise or partner wsdl and what is the best way to schieve it. We will be following a particular format so by parsing the email subject we can categorize it as either an update or a creation of a new case. The partnerWSDL has just one operation(handleEmailMessae) for handling email messages which does not meet this requirement.

Thanks!
DevAngelDevAngel
In this case, where you have determined that this email is part of another case's thread, you would by pass the email handling (handleEmailMessage) and instead get the id of the parent case and creating a new task associating it to the parent case by setting the what id on the task to the id of the parent case.

jeevesjeeves
DevAngel,
Thanks for the input.

On executing the following query to obtain the case of the parent case

select id,subject from case where caseNumber='00001029'

using SOQL I get the following error

"Unable to create/update fields: CaseNumber. Please check the security settings of this field and verify that it is read/write for your profile."

However casenumber is by default readOnly and thats all I need. Could you provide me some insight into this?

jeevesjeeves
Please ignore my previous message.
Roger ERoger E

I am just an admin, not a Java programmer, but I know a tame one who can help me with your guidance. Your reply to Jeeves indicates you can help.

Our problem is that when the case is created, a "not started" task is created for the "automated case user" in the Case settings. This user must be an admin user, and hence tasks are created for me, rather than the helpdesk user (who is not admin). In any case, we see no purpose in creating these tasks at all, since the case is all the record we need. can you direct me to the part of the code that creates the task so that we can turn it off?

Thanks

catharinacatharina

Hi Roger! 

Did you ever get a reply to this? This is exactly the problem that we are having and that I would like to find a solution to.

WrogWrogWrogWrog
No never heard a thing - I'd forgotten all about it, though the problem still exists.