function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jitu2000Jitu2000 

Getting data for ANY Sales Force User ... after they provide their username / password - doable?

I am trying to write a web application(java) using is which SalesForce users can view some their SalesForce data inside my application.

For this i need to prompt the user for their SalesForce user and password. These can be ANY SalesForce users... they could belong to any organization/enterprise.

But username/password is not enough for Login to work succesfully, i think  the 'security token' is also required(we need to append it to password). But it is very unlikely that any user will remember their Security Token.

Is my understanding correct? How can i solve this problem.

Is there a online authentication mechanism (like Google OAuth/OpenId)?

I am able to get data for my developer salesforce account, but how to do the same for my end users?

Thanks

SSinghSSingh

If you want your user to navigate from your application to salesforce without providing the username/password 

Single Sign-On (SSO) would be a better approach in this case.

Salesforce support following two methods to connect with salesforce
1) 
Delegated authentication
2) SSO - SAML Token 

See the documentation for detail 

http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/How_to_Implement_Single_Sign-On_with_Force.com

cheeers 

Message Edited by SSingh on 09-09-2009 12:00 PM
SSinghSSingh

If you add the IP address of the machine in the Trusted IP range, user wont need to supply the security token along with the password.

Note: you need to add the IP address of machine where java code executes

Go to Setup > Security Control > Network Access and add the desired IP 

See if it works for you

Cheers