function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
alexkalexk 

Contacts.Name as compulsory field

I am creating a custom object (detail) that has a relationship with a "Contact" object (master). Trouble is, sforce automatically defaults to creating a standard field "Name" for the custom object when I don't in fact want to use this field to store anything like a name. I cannot rename it, move it, delete it, or choose another field in its place. This impacts usability for me because "Name" could cause user confusion in my case.

Is there some way of nominating another field to carry the torch? For example, I have a unique ID for each entity associated with the Contact (let's call it "MC ID") and I would rather that this field be the default field.

What are my options here?

Message Edited by alexk on 06-06-2004 10:23 AM

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi alexk,

The current release with regards to the "Name" field is overly restrictive and we are changing that in our upcoming summer release.  You will be able to rename and otherwise control how it is configured.

alexkalexk

Looking forward to the summer '04 release then. Is there any heads-up on what's going to be included in the release?

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi alexk,

For new application features in Summer '04 you'll need to monitor the www.salesforce.com site.  The API for summer '04 is going to be a minor point release.  As we approach the release date, we will post a what's new highlight in the Announcements section of this forum.