function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jeselonjeselon 

Verifying whether a Salesforce Username and Password are valid

I am working with the Partner WSDL in the .NET environment.  I have a web form where I ask current Salesforce users for their Salesforce username and password.  I will be using this information to login and make various API calls.

What I would like to do is verify if the username and password that they have provided are valid.  Note that at this time, I am only asking for the information because this is a "registration process."  I will actually be logging in and making calls to the API at a later time.  What would be the best way to implement this?  Does the API have functionality that can be utilized?

Also, is there a way to find out at this time whether a specific user (username and password) has permissions to invoke API calls, such as query and create?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi jeselon,

During registration you should make a login call.  That is the only way to validate the user credentials.

Because of granular sharing rules, you will not always be able to determine access permissions until logged in.  Once logged in, you will be able to run a describe call that will return all the objects and the permissions on those objects for the logged in user.