function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sftechlearnersftechlearner 

Email to Case as a issue tracking system

Hi All,

I am trying to create a issue tracking system(to track salesforce issues from business users). is Email-to-case a best option for that or is there any other appexchange best to use.

Any advise on this is apprecitated!

Thank you!!!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sandeep@Salesforcesandeep@Salesforce

It depends on your business requirement.

If You have customers and then Email to Case is very good option because they will just simply send email to you and automatically a case would be logged and will be assigned to any Resource based on setting.

if you are do ing internal bugtracking then you can simply create an object ISSUE and can track many thing under here as I have developed Project and Issues Tracking system for my company.

All Answers

sandeep@Salesforcesandeep@Salesforce

It depends on your business requirement.

If You have customers and then Email to Case is very good option because they will just simply send email to you and automatically a case would be logged and will be assigned to any Resource based on setting.

if you are do ing internal bugtracking then you can simply create an object ISSUE and can track many thing under here as I have developed Project and Issues Tracking system for my company.

This was selected as the best answer
vbsvbs
@ As a follow-up to Sandip, an additiona loption would be Web-to-Case this would be easier to implement with minimum work in SF. Although have you done diligence w.r.t no. of cases a day and ease of use from the users perspective. They need to be comfortable adopting the system.
Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi Sfdctech, 

The best practice would be Cloing the Case Object and Creating a new Object(Sfdc Internal). 

You may roll out to Internal Users to Log the cases there. 

You may make the Object Private in Organization Wide Defauls and Override the Internal IT users with a Sharing Rule. 

Based on your business scenario you can Give Create Access to all the users and only few users the permission to Read and Edit. 

Regards,

Ashish

This is basically to track salesforce issues from business users not to track these issues we don't want the users to login to salesforce. We would prefer to have the business users email the issue to a ticketing email address

(such as sf-request@xxx.com) and we would like these emails to get automatically logged into SF cases. we dont want to use any web forms or the have the users login to salesforce to create these tickets.

In this scenario would email tocase be sufficient enough for this or using any other appexchange is better?Because if create a new custom object then we would have to map the email content to the custom object fields .

Thanks!!!

vbsvbs
@Ashish - I would certainly like to understand why cloning the Case object is considered as best practice especially since the overall requirements and business case has not been detailed by the OP.
@sfdctech - I undertand the ease of Email-to-Case for the business users and this certainly would be a good way to go. The users may not necessarily have to login to SFDC if you expose a VF page via sites. I guess you have the pulse of your environment and a better understanding...

after all these comments then i guess email-to-case would be the good way to start. 

Also i am looking into other appexchange products such as Email to anything,ihance, email to case premium to compare the functionalities. 

If anybody has any idea on these appexchange pls share your thoughts.

Thanks!!!!

Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi Vbs, 

Usually Internal Employees is reffered to Internal Users, you are right I assumed. 

Best Regards,

Ashish

BarryWSHBarryWSH
when we "bcc" emails to SF, we get all kinds of blank lines and extra stuff like CC:, BCC:, ATTACHMENT: and such.. which make the notes practically unreadable.

How can we get filter it out within the Email to SalesForce function?

If no way, is there an expert we can work with to create a custom filter? I find it hard to believe that we are the only ones with this problem.
Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi Barry, 

We do not have any thing similar recorded, check if there are any email services that are adding the extra content. 

Also, check if is only that one particular style of email or its every email that adds up that extra content. 

Regards,

Ashish 

BarryWSHBarryWSH
1. It?s the standard Salesforce ?Email to Salesforce? function ? we
are doing nothing to it

(because we don?t know how to?)

2. Any and all emails sent into it add those headers..

thx.
Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi Barry, 

Can you post the header of the email which is unwanted as a sample. 

Regards,

Ashish

BarryWSHBarryWSH
sample extraneous header:

Additional To: xxx.xxx.com

CC:

BCC:

Attachment:

Subject: xxx

Body:

thx.
Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi Barry, 

Usually we have the email attached to a case in 2 sections, one as Activity and other Under Email related list. 

The activity one is the one which has these lines which is by default as design and we usually do not use that for any communication. 

The Email record in the Email related list is the one which is rightly formatted and can be used. 

Try if that behavior can be changed so that the Email one is the one that is used for communication. 

Regards,

Ashish