function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kurtz_wolfgangkurtz_wolfgang 

Managed Packages

Hello All,

I would like to develop a managed package (learning the functionality). Now I was able to add fields to objects in managed packages and I am curious how does the code in managed packages handle those new custom fields added to those objects? Should the code be written in such a way that it should be able to handle such scenarios i.e. if you add, modify or delete any field on an object in managed packages? Do all packages handle such scenarios?

I would be very grateful if the experts on this forum could share their views on this matter.

Regards,

kb

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Devendra@SFDCDevendra@SFDC

Yes, it would be managed package responsibility.

May I know, What you are trying to achive using Managed Package?

Thanks,

Devendra

All Answers

Hi,

When you add new fields to objects for Managed Packages and you want to add those fields into the code, then you will have make changes into your classes, VF pages (where you are going to reference this new field).

Once you complete the above process then you will have to create Major Version of your Managed Package. 

One more thing, you can not able to delete field associted in Managed Package.

If you want to make changes in Existing components of Managed Package then you can use Push Upgrade Process.

Please refer below link for Push Patch Update : 

http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Push_Patch_Updates

Thanks,

Devendra

Thanks for the info. I had one more question: Should it be Managed Package's responsibility to handle any fields you have created on the objects belonging to the package?

Yes, it would be managed package responsibility.

May I know, What you are trying to achive using Managed Package?

Thanks,

Devendra

This was selected as the best answer

I am just wondering if I want to write a package, should it be a generic code (so that it can handle all additional fields added in client's environment on my custom object in the package)or can i write query which would be mentioning the exact fields from an object....

I will accept your response as the solution. However please keep sharing your views.

Thanks a lot to everybody for the response and the views.

Regards,

KB.

Managed Package will handle those fields which are created from developer Org in which you have created managed package.

The extra fields at the Client Side will not belong to package. It is because they are not send it from Managed Package.

Managed Package holds the objects, fields, pages, class etc. which are created from Developer Org in which you have created managed package.

My understanding is, You cant link extra fields (Newly created at Client Org) from Clients Org into pages, classes. It is because every package component get namspace prefix.

Thanks,

Devendra