function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
PuzzledPuzzled 

INVALID_FIELD_FOR_INSERT_UPDATE error when fields aren't on page layout - error suddenly showing up

I had a client complain that a program I wrote for them suddenly stopped working and gave the error in the subject.  I checked to make sure the lead custom fields it complained about were still there, and they were.  So I looked at the Enterprise wsdl and the field definitions weren't being generated.

As soon as I put the fields on the lead's default page layout they showed up in the wsdl and the old program ran ok without recompiling.  The fields hadn't been on the form previously when it ran ok up until today.

What's going on?
SuperfellSuperfell
For Professional Edition users, they have no FLS feature, so the FLS is derived from the page Layout instead.
PuzzledPuzzled

Thanks for the fast reply!

I'll have to check with them to see if they did indeed move the fields off the page layout in the last day.

PuzzledPuzzled
I thought they hadn't changed anything but they owned up to removing those fields from the page layout.
L0t3kL0t3k
Does this mean that you cannot work with custom fields that have not been added to a page layout?

I have a custom field for Leads that I want to use, but I don't want anyone seeing or modifying it from the UI.

SuperfellSuperfell
For Professional Edition customers yes. For Enterprise (or unlimited) edition customers no.