function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
b.niteshb.nitesh 

Exposing custom reports in custom app

Hi,

I have read about custom report types and reports and have created one using my custom object. Now I want to expose this report in my custom app. Is this possible using a tab or Visualforce page?

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nitesh

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
IspitaIspita
Hi Nitesh,
If you are creating a custom app, which is actually a list/collection of Tabs is simple language- then in order to expose the reports created by you you need to include the "Reports" tab. In doing so whenever you select your "App" you will also have the "Reports" tab included in it. As of the Custom Report type or Custom Report based off the "Custom report type" created by you it should be visible in the folders where you saved them under the reports tab.
A custom " Report Type" just refreshing memory is just a collection of source data on which one builds the report - so ideally you need not do anything to make it available in your App ( unless you are thinking of Packaging).
Hope this answers your query ...

All Answers

Jeff MayJeff May

Once you have a custom Report Type, you (or your users) can create actual saved reports.  These reports are handled just like "normal" reports in SFDC and can be used anywhere normal reports can be used.

b.niteshb.nitesh
Jeff,
Thanks for the quick response. This is great to know.
So my next question is how can we expose reports (normal or custom) in our custom apps? Do we make the Reports tab available in our app or we can display existing reports using some point-and-click setup and/or Visualforce component. I am fairly new to reporting so might be missing something basic here.
I guess one way would be to show them in the dashboard in my custom app but I'm wonderng if we have other options.
IspitaIspita
Hi Nitesh,
If you are creating a custom app, which is actually a list/collection of Tabs is simple language- then in order to expose the reports created by you you need to include the "Reports" tab. In doing so whenever you select your "App" you will also have the "Reports" tab included in it. As of the Custom Report type or Custom Report based off the "Custom report type" created by you it should be visible in the folders where you saved them under the reports tab.
A custom " Report Type" just refreshing memory is just a collection of source data on which one builds the report - so ideally you need not do anything to make it available in your App ( unless you are thinking of Packaging).
Hope this answers your query ...
This was selected as the best answer
b.niteshb.nitesh

Thanks Ispita. This is exactly what I was looking for.