function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
YuckleYuckle 

Advice on Cases, Tasks and Conversations

We need a better way to have conversations/tasks between Level 1 and Level 2 Support.

Background:  In our shop, difficult support cases can be escalated to Level 3 Support for assistance.   Level 3 never closes cases, just provides advice or fixes and returns cases  to Level 1 or 2 who communicates the fix to our customer.  We have the ability to move cases up and down (1-2-3-2-1).   However, this is being used is a way I didn't anticipate when I designed it.

Problem:  Level 3's return a case to the Level 2 rep (the system knows who it was) when they want him/her to answer a question about the case and the Level 2 then returns it to the Level 3 rep with an answer as an internal comment.   So, what's happening is that they are using the Escalate/Return process just to have a conversation about a case.  This was never  intended.  It's add too much delay into the case flow.

Needed:  I would prefer that the probable case solver keep ownership of the case but have a trackable way to ask a question of the L2 (or any SF user) or ask for documentation, etc.  Sending emails is no good.  They get lost and don't have any tracking.  Same with case comments.     Can I associate tasks with case?  Can I use Chatter?   Is there a better way to solve this?

Ideas welcome!   

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
*werewolf**werewolf*

It's a little hard to see but there are some links in my prior post...

All Answers

*werewolf**werewolf*

You could use Chatter for this, yes.  You could also use Case Teams (although that tends to be somewhat email-notification-centric).  The proper place for this kind of discussion would be either Chatter or Case Comments.

YuckleYuckle

Okay.  Thanks fo responding. 

If we use Case Comments, how do we assure that the comment is read and acted upon?  These would be internal comments, so out-of-the-box there is no notification to anyone that a new internal comment exists.  I suppose I could develop something that emailed the former case owner that a new comment exists, but they get so many emails from SF currentlty there is a good chance they'd ignore it.  Also,  I would need some way to age this and take action if nothing has happened in a day or two.  I am worried that the Level 3 will send and wait and the Level 2 will do nothing, causing this case to stall.  The way we have it now, at least it gets reassigned to the L2 and escalated if ignored.

If we use Chatter, I have the same concerns, how do I know they read it?  How do I age and track this to ake sure it doersn't get stalled?

*werewolf**werewolf*

If you need to ensure that these comments are read and acted upon, have you considered perhaps setting up a Case Hierarchy and making them make these questions as child cases instead?

Basically it's a process vs. time question.  It takes a little longer to make a child case than it does to write a comment, and it takes a little longer to write a comment than it does to write in the chatter feed, but there's a lot more process around child cases than there are around either one of those other types of feeds.  You can even make triggers on child cases to ensure they're closed before the parent case can be closed.

*werewolf**werewolf*

It's a little hard to see but there are some links in my prior post...

This was selected as the best answer
YuckleYuckle

I think child cases is the way to go.  Not only do I have a lot of process control, but the child case will appear with the set of work (other cases) that the L2 is used to working.  Now to sell this to the Support Manager......

Thanks much!