function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jverdjverd 

Looking for quickstart for WSDL + jars needed for report metadata

Hi there,

Apologies if this is not the appropriate board for this topic. I'll be happy to move elsewhere if you let me know where.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10">

I’m looking for a good quickstart guide to get me going on downloading report metadata, executing reports, and downloading their output.

I went to the Quick Start link on http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api_meta/index.htm. This in turn told me:

1. Log in to your Enterprise, Unlimited, or Developer Edition Salesforce account. You must log in as an administrator or as a user who has the “Modify All Data” permission.
  1. Click Setup | Develop | API.
  1. Click the Download Metadata WSDL link and save the XML WSDL file to your file system.
  1. Click the Download Enterprise WSDL link and save the XML WSDL file to your file system.

However, those links were not present on that page.

I did poke around and find an enterprise.wsdl somewhere else, but I’m not sure if it’s the correct one. In addition, the quickstart refers to Apache axis 1.3, which seems to no longer be available for download. Should I use Axis1.4? Or Axis2?

Bottom line: Is there an up-to-date, accurate quickstart guide for working with reports and their metadata in Java somewhere?

Thanks,

Jeff

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
SuperfellSuperfell
SHould have access to the WSDLs in a DE account, goto /soap/webservices.jsp?setupid=WebServices

All Answers

jverdjverd
Nevermind. Turns out the free developer account doesn't have access to those links. Whoda thunk it?

SuperfellSuperfell
SHould have access to the WSDLs in a DE account, goto /soap/webservices.jsp?setupid=WebServices
This was selected as the best answer
jverdjverd
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm still learning my way around the Salesforce/Force.com websites though. Where's the starting point for /soap/webservices.jsp?setupid=WebServices?

I did check out the API docs, but they just direct me to Setup | Develop | API, which is where my trial developer account couldn't see the links.

Thanks,
Jeff

SuperfellSuperfell
there's no such thing as a trial developer account, you either have a trial account or a developer account. make sure you have a developer account.
jverdjverd
Okay, I guess I have a trial account. I haven't been able to find where to sign up for a developer account. I see Group, Professional, Enterprise, Unlimited. I guess I'll have to call Sales on Monday.

SuperfellSuperfell
http://developer.force.com/ click the get a free developer edition account button near the top left of the page.
jverdjverd
Ah, that was it. Perfect! Thanks!