function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
g-mang-man 

Updating separate applications from within salesforce.com

Hi,

I want the ability to update separate application databases from within salesforce.com i.e. after updating User profile info, update separate app databases with new data. This would also need to work both ways i.e. changes to separate app databases would automatically update salesforce db.

Is this possible using the sforce API? If so, how is the API called from salesforce.com? My ideal is to create a .NET component which would make the calls to the sforce web service. The separate apps and salesforce would then make calls to my .NET component.

I'm new to the salesforce world so I'm not familiar with the framework of the app itself.

Language: .NET C#

Thanks,
Greg
DevAngelDevAngel
Hi g-man,

The only way to do this is to host a server that polls salesforce for data changes and can recieve notifications of data changes from the other applications. It is a fairly common integration scenario, but definitely one that needs the middleware server to implement.
g-mang-man
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response.

As far as polling salesforce for updates/changes, would the best method be to use the web service API getUpdated() method call for each object type I'm interested in? Is there a more elegant way or a better way to do this?

Thanks again.
DevAngelDevAngel
Hi g-man,

GetUpdated is a little wonky. It's just as effective to query using SystemModStamp.
Rick.BanisterRick.Banister
I can help you with integrations. My company sells a database integration product, Relational Junction for Salesforce, that allows 2-way synchronization between your Salesforce org and a local database (Oracle, SQLServer, MySQL, or Sybase). You get a data warehouse that is a perfect copy of your Salesforce.org with no design work.

We have many customers that have integrated a variety of applications and products by simple database-to-database transforms, since Relational Junction handles all the Salesforce heavy lifting.

You can contact me directly at Rick.Banister@sesamesoftware.com or visit http://www.sesamesoftware.com to download documentation or request a product demo. This is a very pain-free and automated product which could have you a replication warehouse in minutes with no design work.