function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
gudduguddu 

how to add custom field to your account using partner.wsdl

hello,
i am using sforce 6.0 api.
i have to use partner.wsdl for my application .
how can i add custom fields to account and lead using partner.wsdl
DevAngelDevAngel
Any customizations to the schema must be done through the application, not the API.
gudduguddu
hello Dave,
i am using asp.net using c#. How can i do cutomization to schema through the application ? My aim is to add custom field to account ?

thanks.
SuperfellSuperfell
login goto the setup menu, click account on the left and click add field.
gudduguddu
hello
thanks for reply.
i want to add custom field through my code.
how can i do this ?

thanks
SuperfellSuperfell
As Dave already said, you can't do this through code, you have to use the UI. An API for managing this is on the roadmap
gudduguddu
hello simon
thanxs for the reply.
yes, It is right that what you have told.
now i have created one custom field through set up but when i try to assign some value through my code it thows error -
common.exception.ApiQueryException: No such column 'myfield' on entity 'Account'. If you are attempting to use a custom field, be sure to append the '__c' after the custom field name. Please reference your WSDL or the describe call for the appropriate names.

will you have some suggestion for that ?
please reply.

thanks.
SuperfellSuperfell
Did you follow the advise in the error? and try myfield__c ? did you look at the new WSDL?
gudduguddu
hello,
how can i make custom fields's visibility false sothat no one can view and edit those values . i have to do this through my code and i am using partner.wsdl.
i have hardcoded those values inmu code but i want no one can view and edit those values on eg.accountdetails page.

thanks.
DevAngelDevAngel
The ui accessibility is handling by adding or removing items from the page layouts for the parent object. The existence or lack thereof in a layout has no effect on the ability to access the field via the API.
fowlermfowlerm

SimonF wrote:
An API for managing this is on the roadmap

Are you able elaborate on the plans for the API? If so, will this just be to add/edit/delete custom fields or will you be be able to do the same with custom objects too?
DevAngelDevAngel
Details will be announced prior to the release of this feature. It's still too early to publish any detailed info.