function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
divingglobaladmindivingglobaladmin 

automatically create 15 minute increment picklist values

Is it possible to create picklist values which are auto-generated 15 minute increments?

I'd like a picklist which enables a user to select the total time in 15 minute increments. For example, one user may need to enter "45 minutes" while another user may need to enter "37 hours and 15 minutes" The universe of values is 35,040 entries (365 days @ 24 hours @ 15 min increments) so I'm hoping there is a way to enable the user to 'scroll' thru an 1) auto-generated 2) increasing picklist of values until s/he reaches the needed value.

Note1: I considered using some version of "multiply by .25" but all my testing yielded a failure at some point. Anyone better at math than me??

Note2: This is to solve for a different problem which doesn't seem to have any good solutions. The real problem is similiar to a time clock for people to 'clock in' and 'clock out' during the day (similiar but not limited to 24 hours). There are countless hacks for this problem (the creativity in developerforce is truly amazing!) but none fit my use case. If anyone has an idea, please let me know.

TIA

Peter_sfdcPeter_sfdc
Not sure I understand how a time clock relates to 365 days in 15 minute increments.

I doubt you'll find an elegant way to do this, other than very customized (Visualforce page + javascript framework most likely).

Can you share more of what you've tried so far, or is it so far off the mark that you're just binning it and starting over?
divingglobaladmindivingglobaladmin

Good questions!

The closest thing I can find as a conceptual reference point is time clock functionality ...

I tried to 'adapt' this - https://success.salesforce.com/answers?id=90630000000gsm2AAA - to a Sales Cloud. No joy. Perhaps I did it incorrectly??

I tried to incorporate this - http://boards.developerforce.com/t5/Formulas-Validation-Rules/Formula-to-calculate-number-of-hours-from-two-different-times/td-p/51757 - into a quasi-workflow where the 'Start time' would generate a new record, there is a record created date/time field, the 'End Time' button would capture end date/time and then some logic would subtract record created date/time from end date/time.

Honestly, I recall chokepoints with both and got busy so didn't spend too much time troubleshooting.

I am happy to bin everything at this point if you have any ideas?