function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Greg WilsonGreg Wilson 

Alternative labels and validation messages on custom object fields? Any suggestions?

Hello,

Background

Our app includes custom objects with field labels and data validation messages that mention specific legislation, like "Section 9 Approval" or "Section 12 Rationale". This suits our core market well, and is a valuable selling point. Our app is offered as a managed package, and we use TrialForce with it too.

Problem

We want to offer the app to other markets; markets that don't use the same legislation. We want to replace the specific terms in the labels and messages with generic terms, like "Budget Approval" and "Decision Rationale".

Question

What's a good strategy doing that?

• We could develop a completely independent app, but that would involve a lot of duplication when we make enhancements and changes, and lots of administration overhead.

• Can we do something smart with UI languages and translation?  It would be nice to have a "ABC Legislation" language version and a "Generic" version of our app, a bit like a "English" and "French" version (but we only want those specific terms to change, not the whole interface).

• Is there a way to have parameter-driven dynamic labels? Maybe dependent upon some value in Company Information?

I'd appreciate your ideas!

Regards,

Greg. 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Greg WilsonGreg Wilson

I found a solution for this problem. I guess it is a misuse of the Translation Workbench, but it seems to work well.

I can use a the Translation Workbench and a Platform Language to achieve this.  The main language is the regular interface. I allowed an additonal platform language (I used one of the additional English versions), and provided translations for the custom objects in the additional language.  When we need to show a user the alterntative phrases and labels, we just switch them onto the alternative language.

Cheers,

Greg.