function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Zoom_VZoom_V 

Duplicating a developer sandbox

I would like to make a separate developer sandbox from the one which we already have. I would also like to have this new developer sandbox to have all of the same undeployed design components which the other sandbox has. However, I am only able to create a new one from production. Is there a way for me to create a new sandbox based on that developer sandbox ? If not, is there a quick way for me to duplicate certain objects from that developer sandbox and bring them over to the new developer sandbox ? 

Thank you very much for your help.

Cory CowgillCory Cowgill

If you want to do a parallel deploy from your Development Sandbox to another Sandbox you cannot use the standard SFDC GUI for creating sandboxes as that only works going from Production -> Sandboxes.

To accomplish this you need to:

1. Create Developer Sandbox from Production.

2. Use either Change Sets, Force.com IDE, and/or Force.com Migration Toolkit to deploy your configuration and custom code from original Sandbox to new Sandbox.

This approach is documentated in the SFDC SDLC process for large / complex projects. The link is here:

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/dev_lifecycle/salesforce_development_lifecycle.pdf

Look at Page 30 which describes the architecture and process for what you want to accomplish.

nikvmnikvm

the other way I could think of is creat a back up of your entire work using TFS or some source control product then create a new devloper sandbox.

connect that sandbox to force ide tfs and upload copy / upload your tfs backup